Location: Districts of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf and Spandau
Subdistrict: Siemensstadt, Siemensdamm subway station
Streets: Geißlerpfad, Goebelstraße, Heckerdamm, Jungfernheideweg, Mäckeritzstraße
Total Area: 19.3 ha [47.69 acres]
Number of Flats: 1,370
Flat Sizes: 1 to 3 ½ rooms (90 per cent thereof with up to 2 ½ rooms) [excluding kitchen and bathroom]
Constructed: 1929 to 1934
General Management: Martin Wagner
Urban Design: Hans Scharoun
Architects: Hans Scharoun, Walter Gropius, Otto Bartning, Fred Forbat,
Hugo Häring, Paul R. Henning
Consulting Technician: Max Mengeringshausen
Landscape Architect: Leberecht Migge
Building Owner: Gemeinnützige Heimstättengesellschaft Primus mbH der Stadt Berlin
Reconstruction: Since 1982, modernisation programme with emphasis on preserving the architecture
Owners: Deutsche Wohnen AG, GSW Immobilien GmbH
The large housing estate Siemensstadt antedates the modern concept of a relaxed city atmosphere in green surroundings even more strongly than Weiße Stadt ("White City"), which was built at the same time, thereby pointing the way to domestic construction after World War II.
The project was given the byname of "Ring Estate" because, with the exception of Paul R. Henning and Fred Forbat, all of the planners involved (including City Building Councillor Martin Wagner) were members of the architect's association called "The Ring".
Scharoun arranged the rows of houses strictly in a north-south direction. The population of old trees was conserved, emphasising the countryside character of the housing estate right from the beginning. Despite its strict urban design, the housing estate appears architecturally diversified. It demonstrates the whole range of new architecture, ranging from Walter Gropius' cool functionalism to Scharoun's strictly differentiating style of design to Hugo Häring's organic variety of designs.